Database Backup Now causes errors

On a fairly new install [couple of months ago] I tried initating a Database Backup by pressing the "Back Up" now button and the following errors were displayed:

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Message: rsort() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given

Filename: models/backup_model.php

Line Number: 0
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Warning

Filename: models/backup_model.php

Line Number: 0

Then below that:

db_ricedkpp_affil_1460032750-Apr-07-2016_12:39:10.sql database backed up successfully

Yet when I take a peek [using Filezilla] in the directory I set up for Database backups, nothing is there!

The database, set up a couple of months ago, seems to be correctly configured, because other things work [e.g. commission set up, affiliates successfully added, sales recorded and commissions calculated].

I, today, installed JROX Affiliate Manager software on a different website, and I was able to make this work, there [no errors reported and the backup file exists where expected {according to Filezila}]. As far as I can tell, everything is set up the same -- file permissions the same, directory name/location the same, same web host, same kind of server/hosting package.

Any thoughts?

If I'm embarrassed, it's because I stepped in my humanness.

I ran phpinfo() on each site and both sites have exec() in the list of Disabled Functions.

For the site that processes a DB backup without error, I have an SSL certificate set up [i.e. can use "https"], whereas, no SSL on the site where backup fails, could that be the reason?

I noticed that under System Settings the Debug Mode was set to Development. Changing it to Production made the errors go away and now I get the happy "database backed up successfully" message.

But, new problem: when I FTP into the Directory set in the Directory Path For Backups field, I find no file! This is true on both sites.

And, isn't "777" a rather un-secure permissions setting? I mean, that basically allows the "public" to go in there and muck about, right? In fact, on the Host I'm using, I get Internal Server errors if the directorys are set to anything but 755.